QLD Getting Speeding Fines Reduced?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Al_C

14 January 2017
I was allegedly caught doing 73 in a 60 zone. Problem is, the camera was positioned at the bottom of a pretty steep hill. Given the 13km/hr difference I don't expect to have the ticket voided or anything, but I don't think the 3 demerit points is fair.

Would there be any chance of getting a reduced level of offence for speeding fines?

Side note: I am on my P2 licence.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Would there be any chance of getting a reduced level of offence for speeding fines?

Only if you fight it in court and even then I don't like your chances. I agree unfair positioning of tax cameras is not fair. And police wonder why their estimation in the eyes of the average person is going down!

Try to get hold of the police manual that specifies criteria for the tax camera site selection.

Get crash data for that section of road.

Query when the camera was last checked as being fit for use.

Take photos of where you were caught, where the tax camera was located, see if you can find out the gradient of the slope, explain it is dangerous having to ride your brakes going down the hill.