QLD Dispute Speeding Fines Due to Ill-Placed Speeding Camera?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

G_tree

21 August 2016
I recently received a speeding fines for 10kms over after just turning onto a highway and heading downhill. I have done quite a bit of reading into the placement of speed cameras and have found this on the QLD government website:

"We decide where to locate speed and red light cameras by assessing all Queensland roads against strict criteria—looking at:

• the number of crashes on a section of road in the last 5 years
  • the causes of crashes that have occurred
  • the severity of crashes that have occurred
  • how common high risk speeding behaviour is in an area.
At least 2 speed-related crashes need to have occurred in an area in the past 5 years for it to be eligible as a mobile speed camera zone."

My query is, can I get out of this simply due to the camera clocking me while still accelerating onto a major road, whilst also driving downhill, and how can I get access to road traffic data which may help me dispute the need for a speed camera at that specific location (based on the QLD gov requirements stated above)?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
can I get out of this simply due to the camera clocking me while still accelerating onto a major road WHILST ALSO driving downhill,

No.

1. Obtain stats. Contact Transport and Main Roads. Also see: Road safety statistics (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

2. Write to police asking them to withdraw ticket for reasons, xyz.

3. When they refuse, elect to go to court.

4. At court there are two main factors: Attitude of magistrate and your past record. Take photos of area (clear view of road), crash statistics and information on your contribution to society (eg Lions club member, committee member of xxxx) to show you are a productive member of society (ie not just a user).

Doesn't help on verdict, but reduces the sentence. Maybe somehow prove/assert applying brakes while downhill is a safety issue. There may be technical reasons that get you off but these are not common. Spend 2 or 3 half days at court waiting for case to be heard.

Or pay fine and accept the fact that the tax cameras are merely doing what the government intends.