QLD Speeding Fine - Challenge Fine as Under Limit?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

gracieangel

5 November 2014
My speeding fine states I was doing 67 in a 70 zone.... so I actually got a ticket for doing less that the speed zone as stated by the officer.

Do I get my fine waived and my points back under Traffic Law?

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
Do you know whether you were actually speeding? Could it be that the copper has Transposed the numbers? Or has the wrong speed limit been written down?

gracieangel

5 November 2014
the numbers were not transposed, he wrote down the wrong speed limit... im just wondering if this error makes the ticket invalid.... I can only go by what he told me I was doing, at the time I entered the zone my attention was not on my speed and I thought I was pulled over for a breath test....so I was not aware that I was speeding.... he just told me I was speeding...

Owens Lawyers

13 June 2014
I'm not sure what the process is in Queensland, but if there is a review available you could try that. However, once the police are alerted to the problem, they will correct. Same if you elect to go to court. Basically if it was simply an error then that can be remedied by the police. If you're not sure you were speeding, you could contact the police and see if there is any in car video to view.

The reality is I can't see you getting out of it. Charges and fines can be corrected if they contain errors.

gracieangel

5 November 2014
Thank you for reply... it was taken with a hand held.... I will take it to the court house and see what they say. .

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Courts do not give legal advice. Owens is right about what they can do to fix the error. Fight it in court if you believe you were not speeding else pay the fine.