QLD 3 speed camera fines, one evening

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Breakfree5

11 November 2014
Good afternoon,
I recently drove in an unfamiliar area, Lutwyche Road on the north side of Brisbane for two trips, to drop people off in the City, I returned home to Burpengary between both trips.
Two weeks later I get three of these "Infringement Notice Photographic Detection Device Offences" in my mail.
On a deeper study of the Fines I received, two of the fines are from the same Traffic Light Speed Camera: Location- Lutwyche Rd, Lutwyche, at i/s with Norman Ave, one at 6:47pm, the other at 10:56pm on 11/05/2019.
The third Fine (the same evening) is from a Traffic Light Speed Camera located very close to the first at Lutwyche Rd, Kedron, at i/s with Kedron Park Rd at 10:19pm. This location is approximately 300m from the aforementioned location.
My question is, even though the fines cannot be classed as "one trip", is there any room for complaint/dispute here as they were all incurred on the one evening? Furthermore, and with a great deal of annoyance I noted that there was no flash from either of these lovely cameras. This further annoys me in that there is no warning to the driver for their immediate attention that they have been "caught" doing the "wrong thing", that warning is coming in the mail in two weeks.
My question to the "Road Safety" office was (and is here), if this had been a new daily route to myself and I had been driving this route over the two weeks while these cameras were happily clicking away I would have been none the wiser. Then I would have had a truck load of fines and no license, and apparently no recourse.
I am 50, I drive 800km a week for my job, sometimes more. If i was a serial speed offender I would have a lot of fines and no license, this is not so at all.
I haven't been back to the area to check for speed signs and their locations in relation to the camera locations, but I will be doing this tomorrow.
One last question, on these "offences" I noticed the location is stated as "Lutwyche Rd, Lutwyche, at i/s with Norman Ave", but when I look on Google Maps, the street name is Norman St. I will be visually checking this too.
Kindest regards to all and thank you in advance for any advice.
Rodney.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I drive 800km a week for my job, sometimes more. If i was a serial speed offender I would have a lot of fines and no license, this is not so at all.
That's total nonsense. Any professional driver knows exactly where the cameras are and checks their speed accordingly - and that's from someone who has worked driving all over the country.

You have practically no chance of getting out of these - especially as a professional driver who should know better.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You've got nothing.
Pay the fines and go get on with your life.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Good afternoon,
I recently drove in an unfamiliar area, Lutwyche Road on the north side of Brisbane for two trips, to drop people off in the City, I returned home to Burpengary between both trips.
Two weeks later I get three of these "Infringement Notice Photographic Detection Device Offences" in my mail.
On a deeper study of the Fines I received, two of the fines are from the same Traffic Light Speed Camera: Location- Lutwyche Rd, Lutwyche, at i/s with Norman Ave, one at 6:47pm, the other at 10:56pm on 11/05/2019.
The third Fine (the same evening) is from a Traffic Light Speed Camera located very close to the first at Lutwyche Rd, Kedron, at i/s with Kedron Park Rd at 10:19pm. This location is approximately 300m from the aforementioned location.
My question is, even though the fines cannot be classed as "one trip", is there any room for complaint/dispute here as they were all incurred on the one evening? Furthermore, and with a great deal of annoyance I noted that there was no flash from either of these lovely cameras. This further annoys me in that there is no warning to the driver for their immediate attention that they have been "caught" doing the "wrong thing", that warning is coming in the mail in two weeks.
My question to the "Road Safety" office was (and is here), if this had been a new daily route to myself and I had been driving this route over the two weeks while these cameras were happily clicking away I would have been none the wiser. Then I would have had a truck load of fines and no license, and apparently no recourse.
I am 50, I drive 800km a week for my job, sometimes more. If i was a serial speed offender I would have a lot of fines and no license, this is not so at all.
I haven't been back to the area to check for speed signs and their locations in relation to the camera locations, but I will be doing this tomorrow.
One last question, on these "offences" I noticed the location is stated as "Lutwyche Rd, Lutwyche, at i/s with Norman Ave", but when I look on Google Maps, the street name is Norman St. I will be visually checking this too.
Kindest regards to all and thank you in advance for any advice.
Rodney.

As others stated, there is nothing you can do, you are at fault, there are two things that can be done: first: if you suspect the cameras are faulty, the onus of proving this will fall on you and it will be a timely and costly tasks to do, secondly, if you are a good driver and did not have any fines in the past 10 years, and you can ask for review and request to lessen the charge, that is all you can do, I am not sure if you can raise the issue that the cameras were faulty in the second one as you mentioned you travel a lot and if you have a clean driving record, this could help you out (but not too sure about it).