QLD Son Received Speeding Fines - Dispute T.I.N. Under Traffic Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Grant69

18 December 2015
Home Hill, Nth Qld
Have photos of the speedo, the girlfriend took them, have a pic of the GPS readings as it was tracked. Shows max speed, Avg speed, time/distance travelled (1.09 hrs to travel 76 km) and time stopped. Pics of the road which was on a bend. Also, have the rolling dyno reading of the speedo reading to ensure the speedo was, in fact, reading true. This was done after the fact.

What I don't have are the certification of their radar device, his certification to operate the said device and the measurement of uncertainty for the radar would also be handy, but strangely enough they are not to forth coming with that info. But they hide behind that badge and it says "that they can outright lie and you can't do a thing about it". But I will say that it is not all cops, just some.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
If you go to court, the prosecution has to supply all the evidence against the defendant to the legal advisor. If they've returned the matter to the original officer, I would say they're a bit uncertain about what to do.

I'd elect for court and try and get it withdrawn. You could also push them a bit harder and say "Take it to court or withdraw it now". Actually worked twice for me with improperly-calibrated red light cameras.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think you'll find that these days (after the police learning their lesson),
most speed detecting equipment is indeed correctly calibrated.

Further, I think you'll find that, because speed cameras (any kind) are recognised by the court as a scientific instrument,
there is a presumption in favour of the device being accurate.

The GPS data might (very, very might!) raise reasonable doubt.
Assuming of course that you can prove the accuracy of readings from your device.