NSW Someone on gumtree sold me an item they did not plan on sending.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nickmaac21

2 October 2019
I saw a guy on gumtree selling a computer part at a reduced price and I asked if he could send it. I got his number and spoke to him briefly to try determine whether or not this was legitimate. He also had the ad advertised in the paid advertisement section, having me further believe he was a legitimate seller.
The money was transferred over a week ago and this guy now leaves his phone off.
I transferred the money in a direct bank transfer to an account with the name he gave me.
I am planning on going to the police tomorrow.
Does anyone know my options here?
Does anyone know if people can open bank accounts in fake names?
Does anyone know if mobile phones can be owned by 'untraceable' people?
Any help would be appreciated. I have lost a total of $2800 and am absolutely devastated.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
1. Speak to your bank first to see if they can cancel/block/reverse the payment, then go to the Police.
2. If you have fake ID you can do just about anything with it.
3. Phones? Same answer as #2.
4. Never buy on Gumtree. It's plagued with scam artists and always has been - and it's getting worse, not better. When shopping online, eBay is much safer these days, especially if you use PayPal.
5. Out of curiosity, what kind of "computer part" costs $2800? (And that's a "reduced" price?)

Finally, because I'm sure some else will raise this point if I don't - just because his phone has been off for a week, doesn't mean that the item isn't in the mail. Parcel delivery within Australia these days is pathetically slow, especially couriers. I recently had an experience with one of the biggest couriers in the country, who took 9 days to deliver a small parcel 20kms - that's a delivery speed of less than 0.1km/h.

nickmaac21

2 October 2019
It was for 2 really good variants of the 2080ti graphics card.

By fake ID do you mean that they have stolen someones ID and are using it to open bank accounts and mobile numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Doesn't need to be stolen, it could be any ID that contains false information. For prepaid sim cards, you might even be able to use them without ID - it depends on whether or not the service provider requests and validates your ID when you activate the sim. If they don't, then there's nothing to stop you from using any information you like when you activate it.