VIC Scammed on Gumtree - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Valentin

24 February 2017
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and need some help. I'm a German backpacker and currently facing an awkward situation.

I recently purchased something on Gumtree (worth $1450) and since I'm currently travelling in Melbourne and the seller lives in Bundaberg, I asked for express post to a post office in Melbourne. He agreed and I transferred the money to his account. I know now that was stupid af, so you don't need to tell me that.

Anyway, since he offered me first to pick it up and provided his full name and address I wasn't too concerned - unfortunately. He told me he is going to post it the next day and send me a tracking number, but on the next day, his phone was turned off and I never reached him again. All this happened on the 16 and 17.2.

I went to the post shop today but no parcel arrived for me. I went to the police afterwards and they told me to report it to ACORN, so I did. But I never got a confirmation mail.

I got a copy of the Gumtree advertisement, the whole SMS history where we were discussing everything and a proof that I transferred the money. And I got his full name, phone number, address and bank details.

I got a couple questions now:

1. Is there anything else I can do besides taking a lawyer under Australian Consumer Law?

2. I'm leaving Australia in about two weeks from now. If I rely on police investigation, do I have to be in the country?

3. If I'm taking a lawyer, am I able to claim the expenses back from the seller? And do I have to be in the country for that?

Is there anything else you'd suggest me to do?

Your help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Valentin,

Two weeks isn't a lot of time to organise things. You could have a lawyer act on your behalf but it may end up costing more than the $1450. You should contact ACORN again and ensure they have you details to contact you outside of Australia (email). I think ACORN might be your only chance at this stage.

Good luck.