NSW Sold Car and now it’s broke down

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aidan1967

30 January 2023
I sold my car last week, they come and test drove the car. I’ve never had issues with the car and actually paid for a mechanic to come and test the car prior to buying in September. I showed them the report before buying.

Issues started happening with the car within a short period of time, I had not drove the car for a month prior to selling as I changed jobs (which had a company car) and over Christmas.

they paid half in cash and half in bank transfers. When counting the cash I noticed it was short, I should really of checked this in their presence but didn’t. I counted this infront of my housemate so I had a witness.

When the car started having issues I spoke with the buyer and said my friend who is a mechanic offered to have a look at the car and I’d cover the cost of the repair out of good will. But I expected the full cash amount to be paid before I would assist. He said the cash was right so I retracted my offer.

It’s been over a week now and he said I had to take the car back, pay for the issues or he would take me to court.

Can anyone offer advice on where I stand with all this? I need to go overseas for a month and don’t want this hanging over me for when I return.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...or he would take me to court.
Reply with

"Well, go on then!."
Your lawyer will be able to act for you while you are overseas