Should I Have Received Notification Upon Great Uncle's Passing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mich11

9 January 2017
A decade ago, my great uncle passed away. He had no spouse or children and left no will, so his deceased estate was divided up between his sister (my grandmother) and his three nieces (my two aunts and mother). I have no idea the total amount.

At the time, I was 21 and my mother gave me $5,000. So I was happy and didn't question it. Now I am older, I question how much my mother received and if I was entitled to receive a share of it and not just what my mother wanted me to have.

I am his great niece. Should I have received notification? Isn't my mother just the same as me descendant-wise? I have no contact with any of these relatives. My great uncle died in the UK and I lived and still live in Australia.

How do I obtain this information without asking my mother or aunts?

Arche

20 March 2015
Hi Mich

This would be governed by UK law of intestacy. A quick search online indicates that no, sorry, as a great niece you would appear not be entitled to inherit, nor was your mother obliged to give you anything. And yes there is a difference between being a niece and a great niece.

Presumably someone approached the Court for permission to administer the estate according to the rules of intestacy in the UK.

I am not sure what you mean by receiving notification.

Reactions: Hayder Shkara