VIC Shoplifting (Not me but caught by association )

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
It is a maximum is 5 years imprisonment but do not freak out. That is only the harshest sentence a judge can give to the worst repeat offenders that don’t prepare any type of defence, the filth.
Even if you did get charged I would say 1 year probation is the worst you’d get, you just need a decent defence (character statements, a letter to the judge, achievements, even report cards)
And remember once you turn 18 it’s like it never happened, so if in the future you found yourself in a similar situation you can rest easy knowing the judge has no idea about your previous digressions.

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
thank you so much for answering my questions :) if I have anymore concerns I’ll get back to you! This has put a lot of my mind at rest.

Glad to help mate, just make sure you get yourself down to a legal aid office ASAP I’m not a lawyer just experienced.

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
Wait I’m reading over your question a little closer. So the stolen items never left the store?
In that case they never were actually stolen items. So definitely don’t give any statements any lawyer would tell you that. Because a crime was never committed. If you give a statement you could end up giving them what they need to charge you and your friends with conspiracy to commit a crime.
But if everyone stays quiet I promise nobody can get in any trouble.

Jackson Lee

3 November 2019
Wait I’m reading over your question a little closer. So the stolen items never left the store?
In that case they never were actually stolen items. So definitely don’t give any statements any lawyer would tell you that. Because a crime was never committed. If you give a statement you could end up giving them what they need to charge you and your friends with conspiracy to commit a crime.
But if everyone stays quiet I promise nobody can get in any trouble.

Thanks for looking over the question! I will make sure to do that, the items did indeed leave the store but not the shopping center.

Joshbuck

4 November 2019
QLD
Thanks for looking over the question! I will make sure to do that, the items did indeed leave the store but not the shopping center.

Oh well in that case yea I’d say they were stolen, just go to legal aid and speak to a professional before even considering talking to the police. That’s the best advice I can give. Get the advice before they ask to question you but hopefully you don’t get the call, they should’ve by now if they were going to.

Jackson Lee

3 November 2019
Oh well in that case yea I’d say they were stolen, just go to legal aid and speak to a professional before even considering talking to the police. That’s the best advice I can give. Get the advice before they ask to question you but hopefully you don’t get the call, they should’ve by now if they were going to.
Thanks, so much for telling me. They have my ID and my phone number so I am a bit anxious, but ill go to legal aid and see what is going to happen. Hopefully, they just let it slide since I didn't take anything and just use this is as a scare to teach me not to do it again. Thank you so much for looking out for me!

Reactions: Joshbuck