NSW Shoplifting at Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

katelynruss

16 May 2020
Hi, I got caught shoplifting at coles. Not sure how much I had but it was a lot. I got pulled outside of coles by 2 undercover ladies with badges on (I’m not sure if they were police or something else). They were kind enough to let me go, I just had to return al the items and I left like how I normally would. I’m so embarrassed and ashamed of myself but I just can’t help it. They let me go with warning and didn’t even get any of my personal information but I’m worried that they’re going to have pictures up on the wall or do they tell all their staff about someone stealing there? I have friends that work there and I’m just so embarrassed. Im never going back there again and have definitely learnt my lesson but I don’t know if I Should block my friends and never talk to them again

StevieB

16 May 2020
Wow what surprise that that 1st time/day I sign up here and post; there is actually a pseudo legal question that I can respond to and help.

For reasons I won’t get into here I have a fair bit of experience with the way large supermarket chains manage their security and loss adjusters; and as such you will probably find that the 2 women were actually investigators (security and related activities act) rather than police.

If they were police you would know.

Sometimes (depending on the circumstances) security and “loss adjusters” that work for Woolworths and/or Coles will let “caught-thieves” go if they; (i) can reclaim all the stolen items immediately (and/or if some are perishable and as such require immediate re-stocking); and/or (ii) have portrayed themselves as police (say, by, quickly flashing a star like emblem inside a wallet) in the first instance as a means to coerce the thief to provide information and/or do as they want.

Point (ii) is the result of the penalties associated (even for licensed investigators) with acting and/or portraying oneself to be and/or like the police when you're not.

If the women had (provided you with the impression they were police and/or) called the police and decided to press charges on behalf of their employer (Coles) there is a greater chance that - if you lawyered up - they could then be caught out pretending to be the police.

For these and other reasons sometimes it’s easier to take the action they took with you; as that way there’s no risk to them and/or their jobs.

Whether or not they do so at Coles; I don’t believe they're allowed to put pictures of you up anywhere publicly as a means to shame/identify you; but some from this website with more knowledge of the law in that area may best placed to answer that specific question.

Cheers,

Steve.

katelynruss

16 May 2020
Thanks for replying Steve! All the items were still perishable as I was only there less than 20 minutes. They were very discrete and I didn’t get to have a look at the badge/ID she had but it looked like the ones on TV. They were very nice and understanding but yeah I am just worried that they’ll talk to their staff and show them pictures of me and I go to this coles quite a lot. I’m only young and I don’t want to be embarrassed on social media if my friends find out

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
While the women may have been legit, they've been watching a bit too much NCIS. Flashing the badge so the person they are accosting doesn't have time to see properly what's on it is a common cop trick to get you on the back foot.

Give it a few weeks before you go back to that store, but to them, you were just a face in the crowd and already forgotten.

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hi there,

I was in a similar situation today and am so terrified of what could happen now and like you, am so ashamed of my actions.

Has anything eventuated for you yet?

katelynruss

16 May 2020
Hi, Hope you’re okay. It is really scary and now I’m very paranoid that people have seen or know about it. They didn’t get any of my information and so far nothing has happened yet.

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hey,

Thank you, im really anxious every second that police will rock up to my house and my housemates would find out. Such a mistake. And they scanned my ID so could happen any moment

I hope your doing okay.

Mia99

20 May 2021
Hey Katelyn,
My flatmate got caught stealing items from Coles by a LPO. No I'd taken and police weren't called. They may have taken his license plate number. He gave the items back and left.

Can anything happen to him now or is this a lesson for him not to do it again?