VIC Shoplifting and get caught in coles, will it affect my character rating and PR application.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jay Chow

8 October 2020
Scenario:
At first, when I come out from coles. They stopped me in the exit of coles. Then, they asked me to open my bag and show them the stuff I stole. There are two juice and two piece of chicken breast total$11.28. They took picture of my face, passport and the stuffs I stole. I said I am so sorry and I won’t do it anymore. After that, they asked me pay the stuffs or put it back. I chose to buy it. I asked the officer will I have any consequences after this happed. He answered me if you don’t do it again , you won’t have any trouble. At last, he gave me a fist bump and let me go. They just told me don’t do it again and haven’t told me I will get charged.

In this whole process, I haven't asked to sign anything and they haven't bring me back to police station.
But I am so afraid that the coles will charge me. I heard some people said the big supermarket won’t show mercy to any shoplifting case.

I have few question about it.
1. Will this experience deduct my character rating in apply PR?

2. Will I get criminal record?

3.Will it bring bad influence to my PR application?

4.Can the company check this record in the future.

I hope I can get the advice and answer from you guys. Thank you you guys for reading my stupid experience. Hope everyone stay safe in this Covid period. Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
They won't charge you.
You paid for the goods.
It's over.