Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Separation - What Percentage am I Entitled to?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Melinda Simpson, 27 May 2015.

  1. Melinda Simpson

    27 May 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi, I have recently separated from my husband (separation) and need help in knowing what % I am entitled to when the house is sold and also his superannuation, etc (property settlement). I have 3 children that I look after as well.

    Thank you
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    There's no formula for deciding a property settlement, but if you can reach agreement with the other party, then it can be whatever you like.

    If not, though, the court follows a four-step process for determine a property settlement:
    1. What is the total value of the joint asset pool?
    2. What were the financial and non-financial contributions of each party?
    3. What are the future needs of each party?
    4. Is the settlement just and equitable?

    Most separating parties find it helpful to start at 50/50 and then make adjustments as necessary. For example, if you both worked but the other party contributed significantly more to the mortgage, then it would perhaps swing 5% in his favour. However, if you have care of the kids moving forward, then that's a future need and it might swing back another 5% in your favour.

    Hope this helps.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page