TAS Percentage split in settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

TaniaM

3 July 2019
Tasmania
My question is on behalf of my brother and is about the percentage split on a property settlement considering the age of the applicable child.

Married in 1992, Separated on 24/12/2017 (wife says) and 24/01/2018 (husband). This is a case in the 2 years before separation the husband worked away from home, only home on weekends. In hindsight, the wife was single on two incomes and decided she did not want to be married anymore once this work ceased and he was going to be back home fulltime.

Wife and children lived in the family home from separation until February this year, husband continued to pay the mortgage; he lived in the caravan on a relatives property. From February, the wife and children opted to rent in nearby town.

Assets are the family home (originally purchased by husband only but has a joint mortgage), a caravan, cars and furniture and equipment. As the husband had been working away, there was a list of maintenance to be done on the home, which was due to start in early 2018 but was never done due to the separation.

Both children have lived with the wife, a 22 year old (child22) and a 17 year old (child17). Child22 refuses to look for work or claim Centrelink entitlements so not contributing to the household.

Child17 dropped out of year 11 in March last year then later in the year was trying to catch up with TAFE studies. Child17 has been in year 12 this year and is due to finish studies in November. This child turns 18 years of age in late August. There is a whisper this child has dropped out of studies again but not confirmed. Child17 does not come to stay with dad at all and he is paying maintenance.

Both have lawyers acting for them (at wife’s insistence), the pool of assets is not massive in this case and could have been sorted without these extra costs but the wife is stubborn and needs to get her way. The main items in negotiation are the family home, caravan, cars and superannuation split. At first the family home and caravan were to be sold. After the husband reviewed the initial draft of Consent Orders, and to settle earlier he made a more reasonable offer of cash based on the cost of repairs to the family home as he was taking a chance it would later sell for the valuation figure, not less. The caravan amount was a separate cash offer then the consideration of the superannuation split. Of course, the wife refused this offer and now wants to go to court, which is such a waste of funds. The wife has overestimated the assets and is greedy in what she feels she is entitled to.

My question is considering child17 turns 18 in August and if (maybe) still a student until November is the wife still entitled to a 60+ percentage split of the settlement. Is a 50/50 split more reasonable based on these last few months? I have not been able to find a similar question in the forum.

sammy01

27 September 2015
does wife work?
how much does she earn?
how much does he earn?
how much does each have in super?
Ball park - the size of the asset pool?
Is she offering to accept 60% or does she want more?

TaniaM

3 July 2019
Tasmania
As per draft consent orders.
Wife works earns $42952 pa, husband earns $69992pa.
Wife super $22339, husband's $136330, they had agreed on a 45/55 split of the total super.
House $225000 with a $54400 mortgage (mortgage is joint but husband pays)
Caravan value $40000, they had agreed to wife $22700 & husband $14000 split on this after fees to sell it (not sold as yet).
Wife has a car $13000 with a loan and another valued $2000, husband has $14000 car (owned). Wife's older car needed major mechanical repairs after separation so she purchased another one.
House contents has been split already (not a lot of value).
Shed contents & motorbike $2000 to husband.
Wife wants at least 60%.
I think the wife is working on a higher assets figure but not sure how she came to this.
Would she still be entitled to this percentage based on the eligible child turning 18 years of age in a couple of months?

TaniaM

3 July 2019
Tasmania
I should add in the draft agreement the wife was happy to sign based on:
Wife 45 / husband 55 percentage split of the total super.
Caravan - $22700 for wife & $14000 for husband
Cash payment of $95000 to wife. Husband maintains the house and mortgage.

During the time the wife lived in the house after separation she did not want the husband do any maintenance to get the house up to a good standard prior to going on the market. She wanted the house to go on the market straight away.
Once he moved back in he discovered the damage to the shower base (a very large crack) and although the bathroom is older this is causing damage to the under floor of the shower, a major defect which was not taken into consideration with the house valuation. Wife also allowed child17 to have the rabbit hutch inside on the living room carpet so you can appreciate the need to replace carpet.

Therefore based on this he revised the draft agreement as he is taking a big gamble if he pays her out in cash now without selling the home first due to the possible selling price being lower than the $225000 valuation.

Revised draft agreement:
Wife 50 / husband 50 percentage split of the total super.
Caravan - $22700 for wife & $14000 for husband.
Cash payment of $75000 to wife. Husband maintains the house and mortgage.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My question is considering child17 turns 18 in August and if (maybe) still a student until November is the wife still entitled to a 60+ percentage split of the settlement. Is a 50/50 split more reasonable based on these last few months? I have not been able to find a similar question in the forum

Not so much that the child is turning 18 soon, but in circumstances that warrant it, the family law act provides for an adjustment to a person who

1) has caring responsibilities of a family member.... After 18 years of age, the act talks about ' a duty to maintain'. This could be argued if both 'kids' are of good health & able to work
2) has been out of the workforce for a length of time due to child rearing & may need retraining to gain employment
3) the age, physical & mental health of a person & how that may impact on future earning capacity
4) the future earning potential of each person

There are others but the above are probably most relevant here...

Married in 1992... Long story short, my feeling is that if heard before a judge, it would probably still go the 60 -65% in favour of the wife... That said, all the figures & property valuations that makes up the pool need to be accurate & up to date.. If the property was allowed to run down since last valued for example then that most definitely needs to be addressed.. I wouldn't recommend he makes any cash payments to her outside of a formal order or legally binding agreement that finalises all matters of settlement

TaniaM

3 July 2019
Tasmania
Not so much that the child is turning 18 soon, but in circumstances that warrant it, the family law act provides for an adjustment to a person who

1) has caring responsibilities of a family member.... After 18 years of age, the act talks about ' a duty to maintain'. This could be argued if both 'kids' are of good health & able to work
2) has been out of the workforce for a length of time due to child rearing & may need retraining to gain employment
3) the age, physical & mental health of a person & how that may impact on future earning capacity
4) the future earning potential of each person

There are others but the above are probably most relevant here...

Married in 1992... Long story short, my feeling is that if heard before a judge, it would probably still go the 60 -65% in favour of the wife... That said, all the figures & property valuations that makes up the pool need to be accurate & up to date.. If the property was allowed to run down since last valued for example then that most definitely needs to be addressed.. I wouldn't recommend he makes any cash payments to her outside of a formal order or legally binding agreement that finalises all matters of settlement
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.