WA Sent Threats After Assault Charge - Consequences?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tikka

11 February 2018
I got into an altercation with someone a while back and was charged with assault. After I got my charge papers, I got her details and basically sent her a fb message threatening to kill her. I was intoxicated when I sent the message and wasn't thinking straight.

She messaged back that she's going to the cops and now I'm really worried... How serious could this potentially be?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Have you heard from the police?

When you say 'a while back', do you mean yesterday or last year?

Could it be serious. Hell yes. So you'll have an assault charge and an Apprehended Violence Order to deal with and the assault charge will be more difficult to deal with. You're not gonna get very far with the racked with remorse for your actions line of argument when you've continued to be aggressive after the original altercation.

Reactions: Tikka

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Maybe you missed the memo, but violence against women is featuring pretty big in the news these days, and 'I was drunk and not thinking straight' isn't generally accepted as an excuse for threatening another person's life after you've just been charged with assaulting them. How royally stupid could you be?

You need legal advice from a lawyer, not a forum of strangers on the internet.

Tikka

11 February 2018
Maybe you missed the memo, but violence against women is featuring pretty big in the news these days, and 'I was drunk and not thinking straight' isn't generally accepted as an excuse for threatening another person's life after you've just been charged with assaulting them. How royally stupid could you be?

You need legal advice from a lawyer, not a forum of strangers on the internet.

Um, I'm also female so don't see how the violence against women statement is relevant, Im trying to get into legal aid but they're fully booked, so was looking for advice here which you failed to give. This forum is for legal questions and answers so don't know why you felt the need to give your unhelpful advice.

Tikka

11 February 2018
Have you heard from the police?

When you say 'a while back', do you mean yesterday or last year?

Could it be serious. Hell yes. So you'll have an assault charge and an Apprehended Violence Order to deal with and the assault charge will be more difficult to deal with. You're not gonna get very far with the racked with remorse for your actions line of argument when you've continued to be aggressive after the original altercation.

The assault was December last year, I haven't heard from cops so thinking she hasn't snitched. Yes it was an unbelievably stupid thing to do. Thanks for the reply.