QLD Police Not Taking Breach of DVO Seriously?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pix1

9 December 2016
Hi,

My partner has been separated from his ex-wife 18months. Last year, around this time, her new partner decided to come around to assault my partner in front of 13-year-old, 14-year-old and a 3-year-old. There were charges and DVO was placed on this man. The case is still pending!

Just last week again, this man has breached his orders. Both this man and my partner's ex-wife turn up at his business property, he starts yelling and carrying on to which one of the sons, the 14-year-old goes out confronts him, videos him asking him to just go away leave. The 41-year-old man goes to assault the 14-year-old, which to our surprise, the 14 -year-old defends himself and tackles this man down to the ground.

His other brother comes running out with there dad to stop the altercation. Within a few minutes, others were there to help stop this. The police arrive and they are informed of this man breaching and tells my partner he will be arrested, but they still have not yet done anything about it.

This man is known to police, has been stalking my partner and his children in the last few days and the police state they are still investigating. There is clear footage that has been forwarded to them that he went to my partner's business address. They are now saying they need to investigate what text messages my partner sent to ex-wife's phone that day, which was about their 4 -year-old's graduation day.

She sent my partner a message stating her new man was going. My partner sent a message back replying that's not going to happen as there are orders in place. He was not welcome on this day. She insisted, which then lead her new man to read the text. They got in her vehicle and arrived at my partner's place of business, to which all thee of the above happened. We don't believe the police are taking this matter seriously.

Any help please.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi,

Last year around this time her new partner decided to come around assault my partner in front of 13year old 14 year old and a 3year old there were charges and dvo placed on this man the case is still pending

So he was charged? And that charge is still pending? He should be on bail, this includes bail conditions not to contact the victim.

If this is the case then breaching bail is a crime which the police ought to act on promptly.

If what you have posted is accurate, then it does indeed appear that the police are not taking this seriously. I don't think you'll get much progress with the police without starting to apply pressure.
I suggest you escalate this to the officer in charge of the station.

Ask him what has been done and what is going to happen moving forward. If you are not satisfied I suggest you make a formal complaint of police inaction.

Regards

pix1

9 December 2016
Morning, thank you for your reply. Yes, he has been charged...and is on bail condition. The police stated to my partner that he would be arrested on Saturday. This has not happened when my partner phoned the police to follow up. Their words were, we need to investigate your text to your ex-wife as I stated he did text a reply to her and said taking her man to their 4-year-old son's graduation is not the time and place as per the orders, and he is not his father, so no. His brothers were going and my partner would not stand in the same room as this man.

Regarding texts to her phone, there were certainly no threats nor aggressiveness, just a reply to her messages. So we're curious as to why they are saying they are investigating the text messages. My partner has offered to get print outs of texts and take it to the police.

Also his children are now not sleeping well. They fear this man just doesn't care and cannot be trusted after breaching the DVO.

May I state that my partner's ex-wife also placed a DVO on him. She has broken the conditions and she asked for turn ups whenever she wants. At the end of the day, she cannot accept her ex-husband is happy.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi pix1,

Yes, drama. I didn't read the AVO/DVO stuff...

If he's charged and bailed, breaching bail is better (for you) than AVO/DVO...but will possibly have a shorter time frame.

If the police won't act on breaching bail they won't act on AVO/DVO.

Ok, so they say they wanna look at text messages...Nothing in a text message can excuse the bail breach, even if you got him to come round under false pretences. He should have simply left when he saw a person referenced in the bail conditions.

The police are brushing you off.

I recommend you escalate. If you accept them doing nothing, that's what they'll do.

Regards

pix1

9 December 2016
Hi pix1,

Yes, drama. I didn't read the AVO/DVO stuff...

If he's charged and bailed, breaching bail is better (for you) than AVO/DVO...but will possibly have a shorter time frame.

If the police won't act on breaching bail they won't act on AVO/DVO.

Ok, so they say they wanna look at text messages...Nothing in a text message can excuse the bail breach, even if you got him to come round under false pretences. He should have simply left when he saw a person referenced in the bail conditions.

The police are brushing you off.

I recommend you escalate. If you accept them doing nothing, that's what they'll do.

Regards
Thank you so much, I will let you know how it goes. Much appreciated.