VIC Selling Assets Prior to ASIC De-registration?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
14 August 2016
My partner and I started a company a few years ago. It is ASIC registered. One of the assets is an IP created by my partner. In the course of our company, we managed to found a start-up with 2 other individuals. The start-up company is based overseas. To generate investment, we were persuaded to transfer ownership of the IP to the new start-up as our contribution to the new start-up. There was also a legal agreement between the 3 original founders that we would be compensated for the transfer when the start-up gets sold as the start-up then didn't have the funds.

Well, the start-up got sold and cheques started to be distributed to the shareholders and one of the co-founders of the start-up refuses to honour his side of the agreement. We are now looking at legal avenues to pursue this claim. Since I don't want to be involved in the legal proceedings, my partner and I agreed that he would be pursuing it. We have also decided to close down our own company.

Questions: There are only 2 company directors in the company, my partner and I. What is the best way to allow my partner to pursue the case against the start-up co-founder under commercial law before we deregister our Australian company? Can a legal document transferring rights be enough? Or can the company sell its assets to my partner prior to deregistration so he now owns the IP rights?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au