QLD Savaged by a Pitbull

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
10 May 2021
On 17th March, I heard a dog barking close to my front door at 3:30AM having just gone downstairs to get a drink of water.

I opened the door to see a dog in poor condition, shivering in the rain.

I went back inside and got a sausage roll for it; took sausage roll outside and gave it to the dog who woofed it down whole and then proceeded to bite my hand at its maximum force and not let go until I faked an attack and made it flinch.

The bite wound went straight through my hand from between the index & middle finger on one side and a bigger gash on the palm about an inch long.

A neighbour in the town house complex about four doors down, for reasons unknown, had chained this vicious animal to the outdoor tap near my front door. By the time the ambulance and police arrived, he had retrieved his pet.

I spent two days in hospital and was put under general anaesthesia for exploratory surgery soon after admission.

It's nearly two months later and the injury is still painful. It's my right hand that was wounded and I am right handed.

I am a chartered accountant by trade and consult at a rate of USD150/hour and have lost circa two weeks of productivity at 100 hours a week.

There are drugs dealers in this townhouse complex and I believe that the animal was placed where it was specifically to do what it did in retribution for my making a series of reports of suspicious activities to Queensland Police Services which I have made public knowledge.

I am not a wealthy person at the moment and, adding insult to injury, no one has owned up to putting the dog in my front yard nor apologized or expressed remorse for their part in what happened.

Can I recover any of my losses; gain any compensation for pain & suffering & disrespectful insult; does victims of crime fund offer any alternative pathway to gaining some kind of payout for this type of incident?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
If you know who the registered owner of the dog is you have a definite legal claim against them for personal injury.

I was chased and bitten on the calf by a large pitbull cross mastiff dog last year whilst running. It was terrifying. The only problem is that as the dog was roaming the streets, I did not know who the owner was.

I would consult a solicitor immediately. Report the dog to council to have it declared a dangerous dog under state legislation. Get the police, medical and ambulance reports. Identify the owner and take legal action against them, and even explore opportunities against owners of the complex insurance if owners have no money.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
The only thing is that you approached the dog which may create some issues.

10 May 2021
If you know who the registered owner of the dog is you have a definite legal claim against them for personal injury.

I was chased and bitten on the calf by a large pitbull cross mastiff dog last year whilst running. It was terrifying. The only problem is that as the dog was roaming the streets, I did not know who the owner was.

I would consult a solicitor immediately. Report the dog to council to have it declared a dangerous dog under state legislation. Get the police, medical and ambulance reports. Identify the owner and take legal action against them, and even explore opportunities against owners of the complex insurance if owners have no money.
I am sorry to hear of your terrifying experience. Did being terrified count for anything in terms of the compensation amount you would be claiming if the owner could have been identified. Are you permanently affected mentally such that you now have heightened & potentially irrationality so when it comes to fear or paranoia about large dogs?

FYI - the dog that attacked me is dead. The Council took care of that.

The townhouse complex here does not allow people to have pets. I am supposing that the property manager was negligent in the enforcement of no pets by-laws and thus a party to the civil claim that I need to make.

Thanks for your input, thoughts and story: you have been most helpful!

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Google dog bite claim' solicitors. There should be no win no fee solicitors available.

You can claim all of your physical and psychological injuries and losses, including past and future costs you may incur. Some examples of things you might be able to claim include:

Medical, rehabilitation and hospital expenses
Loss of earnings
Pain and suffering
Loss of enjoyment of life
Home help and nursing provided by anyone, paid or unpaid, if it meets certain conditions

See a psych to get report about fear of dogs after attack etc.

I would definitely see a solicitor about adding property manager/complex to claim as chances are they have more money to enforce judgement, than the neighbours.