Roundabout laws

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

turoc344

7 April 2020
Hello, i was just involved in my first incident, I came straight through the roundabout and someone coming out of side-street hit the left front of my car. once they hit my car they then accelerated into a tree cause their car to be totaled. The emergency services came and took a statement off me and i was in shock by what happened and answering questions poorly because i was intimidated by the police and the whole situation. They had their friend as an independent witness who was in the car behind them and 4 people in their car saying that I was speeding. There is minimal damage to my car I just replaced the front left quarter panel as i had third party insurance and my insurance telling me i had to wait 16 weeks before they could get the police report. The police took there statement 10 days later after it cooldown and took there side. What can i do i didnt do anything wrong i stopped on the roundabout once she struck my car but the police told me to move before i could take photos. I heard that her foot got stuck on the pedal from her thongs. The police didn't charge me for speeding but said I was speeding in the report, I can show the damages to my car. I know i did nothing wrong she just didn't give way and went through and hit me, I just don't know who I can talk to, all the legal aid services are not accepting people at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_E0504.JPG
    IMG_E0504.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_E0505.JPG
    IMG_E0505.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1

Atticus

6 February 2019
What can i do i didnt do anything wrong
The police didn't charge me for speeding but said I was speeding in the report
So what is it you are wanting to do? ..... What is your insurance company saying about it? ..... Is the other party or their insurance company seeking damages from you?
The police took there statement 10 days later after it cooldown and took there side.
What did the police say exactly, apart from you speeding ....

If you had entered the roundabout they should be giving way to you ASFAIK

Reactions: turoc344

turoc344

7 April 2020
So what is it you are wanting to do? ..... What is your insurance company saying about it? ..... Is the other party or their insurance company seeking damages from you?

What did the police say exactly, apart from you speeding ....

If you had entered the roundabout they should be giving way to you ASFAIK
so I haven't heard back but the police report just says they "think" I was speeding from the independent statement of her friend behind her car provided and suggest that she entered the roundabout before me which is untrue. The insurance company said they will base the claim of the police report as both parties involved are with the same insurance company. she just has comprehensive and I have the third party. it going to be another 8 weeks before the insurance company get the report.

turoc344

7 April 2020
so I haven't heard back but the police report just says they "think" I was speeding from the independent statement of her friend behind her car provided and suggest that she entered the roundabout before me which is untrue. The insurance company said they will base the claim of the police report as both parties involved are with the same insurance company. she just has comprehensive and I have the third party. it going to be another 8 weeks before the insurance company get the report.
we both have claim that we were on the roundabout first. but she was with 5 people and the police said it 5 views vs 1

turoc344

7 April 2020
we both have claim that we were on the roundabout first. but she was with 5 people and the police said it 5 views vs 1
I've tried to call the police officer 3 times but during the times which he emailed that he was available but he never picked up.

Atticus

6 February 2019
it going to be another 8 weeks before the insurance company get the report.
I think you are probably just going to have to wait & see what comes of that
I've tried to call the police officer 3 times but during the times which he emailed that he was available but he never picked up.
Don't think the cops are going to be much use to you anyway... They *think* you were speeding & the other car was in the roundabout first based on the opinion of their friends! ... ppfft ..
Looks like a fairly low speed impact to me with the minimal damage ..

Reactions: turoc344

turoc344

7 April 2020
but she ran into a tree cause her foot got stuck on the accelerator pedal, she didn't stop for the roundabout and just hit me. I think her foot got stuck and once she hit me she panicked and hit the tree.