QLD Residential partner, maintenance and settlement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cairns123

16 January 2018
If I have evidence of new residential partner, but it is denied; why is it important they deny they are living with their partner? Spousal Maintenance is the issue I guess as its been sought in settlement .

What difference does a residential partner make vs a non-residential partner in property and spousal maintenance claims?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
A new partner can help support the ex, making it less likely a court will say the ex needs maintenance from you.

Cairns123

16 January 2018
And the other way around - I am seeking the maintenance? He has hidden his residential status and is unable to produce lease, rental certs etc. Does her income come into it?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
When an ex-partners up it reduces the likelihood of maintenance to them.

If an ex partners up it would only affect maintenance to you if their maintenance was firstly granted, and secondly reduced because of their inability to support themself. Most times new relationships involve keeping finances separate in which case I don't like your chances.

Cairns123

16 January 2018
thanks
not that simple but a good place to start. he earns 8 times what I do, with a partner I would imagine it would be increased to be around 10-14 times my income at the least with his potential income at least double that again easily in the next 10 years, I am unlikely to move out of hand to mouth and disabilities are a factor. There are other factors not discussed.

I was just seeking info re residential re-partnering and appreciate the advice.