Rental Car After Car Accident - Car Insurance Must Provide?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andrew Tyler

4 October 2014
My wife was just in a car accident where our car is no longer driveable, the other person was at fault and their car insurance tells us they can only supply a rental during the period the car is being fixed. Is this correct? Next week we will be in a very difficult position to get kids to school and myself to work as well as picking kids up again. Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Rental cars are a matter of contract between you and the insurer.
Look at your insurance paperwork - it will be there.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Andrew,

1. Have you spoken to your insurance company? Are they willing to provide a temporary vehicle during this time?
2. Just to clarify, it is the other vehicle's insurance company that is informing you that they are only able to provide you with a temporary car during this time? Are they willing to reimburse you the costs for you hiring a rental car if they cannot provide you a car in the meantime?
3. I am a bit confused as to your situation. Is the other vehicle's insurance company only able to provide you with a car while the other driver's vehicle is being repair or while your vehicle is being repairs? Why are they not able to send a replacement car given that i would assume the vehicles would be in the mechanics getting repairs or written off? Are they able to provide any sort of compensation then?