Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Rental Car After Car Accident - Car Insurance Must Provide?

Discussion in 'Insurance Law Forum' started by Andrew Tyler, 4 October 2014.

1. Andrew Tyler

Andrew Tyler Member

My wife was just in a car accident where our car is no longer driveable, the other person was at fault and their car insurance tells us they can only supply a rental during the period the car is being fixed. Is this correct? Next week we will be in a very difficult position to get kids to school and myself to work as well as picking kids up again. Thanks in advance.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Rental cars are a matter of contract between you and the insurer.
    Look at your insurance paperwork - it will be there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew,

1. Have you spoken to your insurance company? Are they willing to provide a temporary vehicle during this time?
    2. Just to clarify, it is the other vehicle's insurance company that is informing you that they are only able to provide you with a temporary car during this time? Are they willing to reimburse you the costs for you hiring a rental car if they cannot provide you a car in the meantime?
    3. I am a bit confused as to your situation. Is the other vehicle's insurance company only able to provide you with a car while the other driver's vehicle is being repair or while your vehicle is being repairs? Why are they not able to send a replacement car given that i would assume the vehicles would be in the mechanics getting repairs or written off? Are they able to provide any sort of compensation then?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...