Remarry Without Getting Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Razz,

Again, it is not a legal issue but a domestic one. The law cannot punish parents for persuading their son or intervening in a marriage.

If your husband wants to live separately from you, the law cannot compel him otherwise. This includes compelling your husband to live in the same house as you. The law tries not to intervene in family disputes, and definitely tries not to force one person to live a lifestyle s/he does not wish to live.

It really comes does to communicating with your husband, his parents and family and understanding why they have their concerns about you and voicing why you wish to remain in a relationship with him. I suggest turning to therapy and mediation, not the law.

Razz

17 June 2015
Thanks a lot for ur valuable time and concern. I would like to share something. AsI already said, I want to live with him but he and his family did a lot of wrong deeds against me. Actually he told me that he applied my spouse visa after marriage. After one year he and his family told me that there is problem in my medical with the embassy. I asked what the problem in my medical was but they avoid every time.

After six months, without my knowledge, his parents left me my parents home and told us that they are going to Australia for 2 weeks as their son sponsor them on visitor visa. Before going to Australia, they tell everyone in our community about my medical problem and spread lots of rumours.
I was depressed with their these types of deeds. When I crossed check my medical through the hospital from where my medical passed, I was shocked to see that at my medical is clear n everything mentioned normal in the reports. They spread rumours, nothing else. But by doing so they insulted me in my whole society. They ruin my present as well as my future too. They did lots of wrong to me but my heart remains in touch with him.

Can I punish them for not only ruining my present but also my future by spreading rumours?

Razz

17 June 2015
His parents remain in australia since january 2015 as they were going just for 2 months.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Razz,

If they spread those rumours in Australia, you may have an action in defamation. You can read more about defamation in: "Have you been defamed? What you need to know about defamation law in Australia". However, note that doing after your husband's parents will only hurt your relationship with your husband and marriage even more. Figure out what you really want here. If it's to rescue the relationship, try mediation or counselling instead.

If the rumours occurred in India, then you will need to consult Indian law and an Indian lawyer.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
You're welcome Razz, hope it all sorts out in the end.

Razz

17 June 2015
Thanks. They spread roumers in india as wel as australia means everywhere with kwons. I know they spread roumers only to hurt our relationship bt with this my future will suffer. In future i hv no option to move on coz of these roumers. Thats why m telling you these roumers not only effects my present but also my future. What should i do sir???

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You really need to see a counsellor. You're hinging a lot of your life and happiness on your marriage, which is a problem and it needs to be addressed, but you don't need legal advice, you need support from a counselling service. Relationships Australia can help you with this.

Razz

17 June 2015
M asking if i go for divorce then with compensation can i claim for effecting my self respect??? Coz this marriage means lots to me bt if he hurt me he desrv to b punish. M just asking can i sue him for dis or it is just a divorce case??

AllForHer

23 July 2014
No, that's not how divorce works. You can't punish someone just because you don't like the choices they've made. You can't sue your former spouse to claim compensation for emotional distress caused by your marriage either.

What you can do is apply for a divorce and a property settlement, see a counsellor and learn to move on. Your dignity will suffer more if you stoop to your ex's level by trying to exact revenge, and I can assure you that it won't make you feel any better.

Contact Relationships Australia. They will be able to give you sage advice about handling with the end of your marriage.