Reimbursement for Medical Bills after Dog Attack

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

matt1812

25 November 2021
I was recently attacked by a dog in a public park. The owner declined to give his name or stop to render assistance. I was able to take photos of the man, his dog, and the model/license plate of his car. I reported the attack to the local council in Victoria, supplied a written statement backed up by a second statement from a witness along with photos/videos of the incident. The council has just issued the man an "infringement notice for the offence of Not serious injury by non-dangerous dog attack."

My question is that the dog bite required a trip to the doctor and a course of expensive antibiotics to treat the resulting infection. While the total cost was just under $200, I do not believe that I should have to pay this out of my own pocket for a random attack. Since I only have the license plate of the man's car, and the council will not provide contact details for the man due to privacy laws, how can I send the person a Letter of Demand or file a Civil Action in court without a name for the defendant?