QLD Refusing to enroll child using legal name at high school

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Corey87

10 December 2017
My eldest son starts high school next year. His mother has enrolled him under her married name, not his legal name as she hasn't had to provide a birth certificate. If they want to use the married name as his preferred name to be used while at school i will deal with it, but his legal last name should still be recorded with the school for official documents shouldn't it?

She says i can't do anything about it as I am not on his school records. Only her and her husband.

I see my son regularly. I moved to the same town that he lives in 3 years ago so I could be a more active part of his life so I feel like I should get a say in this matter.

I'm not sure where to go or what to do about it from here though. Would appreciate some help.
Thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The school should be using the child's legal name.
This is because, if nothing else, they are required to keep accurate records of the names of the pupils.
Schools can be blindly bureaucratic when it comes to surnames.
Having differing surnames can also make life difficult when dealing with Centrelink, Medicare,
and even things like Student Transport Concessions.... anywhere where proving identity will be required.

It is also usually held to be in the best interest of the child that they have one surname
used consistently (even if they have different versions of other names, such as John being called "Jack" ,
or Alexandra being called "Sandy")

I suggest that this is a matter for a sit-down meeting with the principal, not a phone call to some secretary.

sammy01

27 September 2015
How often to you see your son? Would you be prepared to ask him if he has expressed a desire to go by mum's married name? Look if the kid expresses a desire to go by mum's new last name, suck it up.... IF not, contact the school and ask for the records to be corrected.

I'm a teacher, I can tell you schools hate this stuff, our job is to teach kids and schools don't want to get caught up in petty family disputes... BUT a meeting with the principal would be in order, assuming your son expresses a desire to have your last name... Not one worth going to court over.

JayBee86

9 November 2017
Been there before mate. Ex changed my daughters last name to her partners name (they aren’t even married let alone engaged lol) without my knowledge, my daughter wasn’t happy about it in the beginning and said so. I followed it up.

I laugh at how your ex said you cannot do anything.. I assume you have court orders and equal parental responsibility of your child?
If so, whip that crap out and head on over to the school. Also, why wouldn’t the school have your contact details? Get that sorted too.