VIC Refund for Change of Mind Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maxi

23 August 2015
I recently paid money over the phone to do a seminar. The next day I changed my mind and was told I couldn't get my money back and that future payments would still come out of my account. I wasn't told that I couldn't get it back or anything.

Can I stop this company or group taking money, or am I legally bound under Australian consumer law?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Under the Australian Consumer Law, you have no general right to a refund for "change of mind".
(those shops you hear about who do do "change of mind" refunds do so of their own motion and not as a matter of law).

Talk to your bank about whether or not you can de-authorise" the debits.

Maxi

23 August 2015
So if I haven't signed anything and I haven't attended this seminar and they haven't shown me any agreements as to conditions of any kind having to do with this how do I know what my rights are ? I would like to stop them from taking future payments out.

Maxi

23 August 2015
This group I now find out are scammers in that it's like a cult format where you can't talk to anyone about this and that and during the seminar they control your toilet break and when you eat and so on. If I ask the bank to stop direct debit from my account and can they take legal action if I haven't attended this seminar.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
For literally not attending? Doubt it.
But you can probably expect to be harassed for the money regardless.

Maxi

23 August 2015
Tim, I really appreciate the help today. So please so I understand correctly: I can stop them from taking money out of my account? Because I'm not attending this seminar.

Is this correct? Is there anything else I should know? I haven't signed anything or there is anything legally binding me to pay the rest owing? It seems that MJB Seminars is a scam. I just want to know before I go to the bank tomorrow that I know what I'm doing is right and legal for me?

CHICKIE

23 August 2015
It is a case of buyer beware if you sign up at the Balcatta premises of MJB Seminars as they state there is no refund available once you sign up.

I would urge anyone to read this news article before making a decision to sign up for a seminar.

No Cookies | Perth Now
Maybe you could contact the reporter who wrote the news article printed in the Sunday times on 15th August. Her email address is on the bottom of the news article. She might be interested to know about your problem.

Maxi

23 August 2015
Hi chickie, I have been in contact with her and gave her all the information I had on them. As it had only been a couple of days that I had been dealing with MJB I didn't have that much. Like I said before they didn't inform me about a refund or agreements, nothing.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I can stop them from taking money out of my account
Talk to your bank (or credit union or whatever), and explain the situation to them.
I recommend going into a branch and speaking to a manager.
They can't do anything to legally to me because I'm not attending this seminar.
That is almost certainly correct.
I haven't signed anything or there is anything legally binding me to pay the rest owing.
Well, yes there is.
These days, a contract entered into over the phone almost always has the same validity as any other contract.
MJB Seminars is a scam. I just want to know before I go to the bank tomorrow that I know what I'm doing is right and legal for me?
You can expect them to make all kinds of threats. Most of it will be BS intended to get you to resume paying.

Freida

27 May 2016
Maxi - I only just saw this thread. Did you solve this problem with MJB Seminars? I had a similar issue with these crooks and they tried to take me to court. I ended up having to settle out of court. They are absolutely disgusting humans, I really hope you were able to solve without too much legal involvement. I really hope others are aware of these seminars, they should be shut down as far am i am concerned. The 2 brothers have already served time in jail for drugs charges - stay well clear.