Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Changed Mind About Selling Car - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by jlc, 23 November 2014.

1. jlc

jlc Member

I agreed to sell a car over the phone. The agent sent me a contract via email to sign. It already had my details on there. I changed my mind, and I don't want to sell it to them now. Can I just call back and say "no, sorry I can't go through with the sale" under Australian Consumer Law and contract law?

Any information would be tremendously appreciated, thanks

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

An oral agreement is still an enforceable contract. However, the fact that the agent sent over a written contract indicates that any agreement made was subject to a written agreement (i.e. lacks intention to enter into a legally binding agreement), so I don't believe you have actually made a contract with the agent. You should be free to call them and let them know you no longer wish to sell your car.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DennisD

DennisD Well-Known Member

Agree with Sarah J. You're fortunate you didn't progress things further before changing your mind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...