NSW Question about supervision

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, that places her in contravention of the orders, and contravention proceedings can provide an opportunity to have the orders changed entirely.

If she withholds because she expects he won't be taking time off, she will be the only party in contravention of the orders - he can't contravene if he's not given the opportunity to do so, correct?

She should tread carefully. The Court doesn't like obstructive parents.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
...but just wanted to get advice on whether she is technically withholding the child or because the orders say "only dad can spend the time with them' then she can refuse contact?

This would all depend on whether or not there is an extension/additional order saying something to the effect of for example...in the event that the father is unable to take time off work during the time that (“child”) is meant to be in his care/per paragraph **, then the child will remain in the mother’s care during that period.

Niece is nearly 9...No reason...He only gets her during holidays...She is withholding niece because of this order.

Mum is withholding or she intends to withhold? School holidays have not started in all States.

Even if there is written communication from dad clearly stating that he will be working...in the absence of an extension/additional order (as I mentioned above), then yes, mum will be in contravention of the orders if she witholds the child.

If mum witholds and dad files a contravention application...based on what you have said...I agree that this order would likely be varied to remove the restriction over dads time. The father has limited time with the child already and would still be available for at least some of the time that the child is in his care. Mum would need to prove to the court that there was reasonable excuse for witholding...in order to do this successfully dad would have had to actually be working (in real time) when the child was in his care. The child would not have been in his care if mum has witheld the child.

LouiseThomas

21 March 2018
It basically says "the times the children are with father to be when father is not working so father can provide full supervision". It doesn't say anything about they are to be with the mum if he is working. It's stupid I know but she will hold onto that and she does intend to withhold. I think he will take her to court if he can as he doesn't get much time with them to begin with.

I've tried to tell her lots of things based on what I have read here but it's not getting through. She won't see a solicitor about it herself as she won't spend the money. She's tried lots of things to get more money out of him which I won't mention here but this is one issue I think she needs to be told as my niece looks forward to the time she gets with her dad and I don't think its fair.