SA Putting Your Will with Public Trustee?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

petermark

24 September 2016
Is it a good idea to put your will in The Public Trustee?
1. After you died, the government office will find it?
2. It is difficult for others to fake it?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi, If you don't feel anyone in your family would serve as the executor of your estate or you just felt it would be best dealt with by the public trustee then it's probably a good option.

Section 52 of the Public Trustee Act 1995 states that the public trustee can hold your will for safe custody. So I think that would answer both questions, they wouldn't need find and no body would have access to tamper with the document.

PUBLIC TRUSTEE ACT 1995 - SECT 52

petermark

24 September 2016
Hi, If you don't feel anyone in your family would serve as the executor of your estate or you just felt it would be best dealt with by the public trustee then its probably a good option.

Section 52 of the Public Trustee Act 1995 states that the public trustee can hold your will for safe custody. So I think that would answer both questions, they wouldn't need find and no body would have access to tamper with the document.

PUBLIC TRUSTEE ACT 1995 - SECT 52

Thanks for the answer.

The last two lines are not questions. I should put a . but not a ? there.

After a single person dies, since he/she has no wife/husband and children, people may not know the person has a will. Is the government obligated to search for his/her will in the public trustee?

Lance

31 October 2015
I'm not sure to what extent an obligation would stretch. I guess that is the benefit of having the public trustee hold the will in safe custody. I think they give advice on likely places to find it but it would appear unless they have custody and or they are assigned as the administrator it would likely be the family who would need to find the will.

jdogga

16 February 2024
It can be beneficial if you don't have anyone, but be wary of the costs involved. Personally, I would appoint a solicitor before PT because they generally just charge for time.

Also, you can have your Will listed on the Law Society's Wills Register. This was set up after your original post. Locating a Missing Will of a Deceased Person