VIC Pursued by Debt Collectors Even After Dissolving Business Partnership Agreement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Astrophe

25 October 2015
Hi, I was part of a business partnership agreement that was dissolved January 2015 and a settlement arrangement was entered where I assumed liability for certain debts, the other partner assumed other debts and continued trading.

I now have a company taking me to court for an account that continued to accumulate charges through to May, and an electricity company that are trying to hold me liable for an account that issued 12 January 2015 (billed but would not have been received before the 15th).

I have advised both of the settlement agreement, however the debt collectors are still pursuing me. Do I have any options?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
With a partnership you share all debts and are liable for your share of the debt that occurred during the partnership.

As you were in a partnership up until January 2015, you would be liable for half of the bills that were billed up to that date.
This would mean that you would more than likely be liable for half of the electricity bill. In regards to the invoice from the company, you would be liable to pay your share of charges that accumulated until January 2015.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Any options?
Yes - pay the bill, and this will all be over.