VIC Property rights - deceased father

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marija

8 September 2017
Hello,

My parents divorced when I was very little, my mom got the custody and she and I stayed stayed in Macedonia. My dad was originally from Macedonia too, but lived in Australia and thus obtained an Australian citizenship. He also made me an Australian citizenship and now I am considered an Australian citizen too.

He had a partner there with whom he has another daughter. He passed away in early 2016. So my question is there a possibility for me to obtain anything from the property he owned there. I do not think he left a will, since he died unexpectedly, but either way I have not been contacted from Australia about anything. Is there a chance that his partner wrote everything on her and her child's name? Can she do that, is that legal? By the way, my father and his partner were not married, they were just living under the same household. I know that as a domestic partner she can inherit something too, but can she have more right than me who is his birth daughter?
I just want to know if it's possible to get anything, even though I don't live in Australia.

Thank you in advance.