NSW Process to Register Trademark for Online App?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

weegee

5 June 2017
What's the normal process of registering a name/ trademark for my online/app game? Will it be protected in other states and in a worldwide scope?

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
You usually get Australia-wide rights when filing for trade mark protection in Australia.

You will need to direct file overseas or file through a treaty such as the Madrid Protocol to obtain rights overseas.

weegee

5 June 2017
Hi Kim

Thanks for the quick reply, I saw you mentioned Madrid Protocol in another post. I wonder what's the benefit and downside of this approach to the trademark, it does seem to be much less hassle if you want your trademark protected worldwide.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Be aware that the Madrid Protocol isn't 'worldwide'. Here's a list of the countries which are covered: WIPO-Administered Treaties

weegee

5 June 2017
So I assume there's no such 'worldwide' approach to a trademark other than registering country by country?

Kim Walters

18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
Hi Weegee

If you look me up, I can send you an Information Sheet on the pros and cons of the Madrid and also which countries are covered under the Protocol.

Cheers

Kim Walters

18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
You can file for a "bundle" of countries under the Madrid Protocol which is one of the "pros".