VIC Lease - Can Real Estate Agents Require More Money After Bond Returned?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 May 2015
After vacating a premises and recieving bond money back in full under the lease, can the real estate agents then require me to pay for carpet that smells from pet urine (2 weeks later)?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Thomas,
I'm more familiar with NSW Tenancy law than the Victorian counterpart and I know there are a few differences between the states however my feeling is that once they have signed off on the final inspection report, by filling out the form to return your bond they are effectively saying that they have checked the house and its condition is acceptable to them. Therefore I can't see how they would be able to pursue you for more money.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Thomas,

A return of bond will not dissolve you from liability for damage caused by you during the lease. While most landlords will deduct the costs from the bond, there is no requirement they do this. For property damage, they have until 6 years to initiate action and claim compensation. However, you can dispute the claim on the ground that the damage was not caused by you. The fact they have signed a final inspection and returned your bond could support this defence. However, it will not be a defence in itself.

If you have further questions, you may speak with Consumer Affairs Victoria.

Reactions: Ivy