QLD Advice on how to get my bond back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Annies

22 May 2018
I am an international student in Australia.
I rented a room from an indian guy, paid 3weeks bond but i didn't sign an agreement.

I stayed for 2months during which i gave him 2weeks notice i was leaving. he promised to pay me back within 2 weeks.. its been 6weeks now, i havent gotten the money.. he doesnt pick my calls nor respond my text.
any advice on how to go about this pls (getting my refund)?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
By law all residential rental bonds in Queensland must be paid to the Residential Tenancies Authority. It's an offence not to do so. He's also out of luck not using a compliant agreement.

Contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311 and talk to someone there. They're generally very helpful.

Reactions: Annies

Annies

22 May 2018
By law all residential rental bonds in Queensland must be paid to the Residential Tenancies Authority. It's an offence not to do so. He's also out of luck not using a compliant agreement.

Contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1300 366 311 and talk to someone there. They're generally very helpful.

i'll call immediately.
Thanks much for the information

Clancy

6 April 2016
Just a heads up....

Did he ask you for the bond in cash? If yes, then he is going to say you were a boarder and deny you paid any bond. Then it is your word against his - still, no reason not to follow Rob Legals advice above.

Annies

22 May 2018
Just a heads up....

Did he ask you for the bond in cash? If yes, then he is going to say you were a boarder and deny you paid any bond. Then it is your word against his - still, no reason not to follow Rob Legals advice above.

No. I transferred to his account.
And i wrote it in the description what the money was for