Prioritising law degree vs. work

Discussion in 'Australian Law Students Forum' started by gie, 24 June 2019.

1. gie

gie Member

Hi everyone! Brand new member here hoping to get some advice.
    So I'm in my first year of undergrad law, having transferred after doing Arts for a year. I also recently became possibly the luckiest law student in the world and got a job working with the in-house legal team of a pretty big company (I swear I'm not just bragging, this is going somewhere!!). My main job is just scanning stuff, but I also help out the paralegal with a lot of her work and the general counsel has talked about eventually training me up to be able to work as a paralegal.
    I'm so aware that this is an absolutely amazing opportunity I've been given, but I am wondering if anyone had advice on how I should prioritise now. Everyone always says that experience matters far more than grades, but how much? Should I try and work more to get as much experience possible and be the best employee I can be at this place at the expense of my grades, or should I still try to do better than just passing if it means not performing the best I can at work? Which would be more helpful for me in the long run? (If it changes things, I don't have much actual interest in business and construction law, which is all I'm doing at work).
    Thank you so much in advance for any help!

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

I studied externally while working full time as an articled law clerk. The practical experience you pick up is invaluable. Once you graduate, you miss a lot of the little jobs and connections that a fundamentally important.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

1. Go you.

2. My first advice would be this - stop using Americanisms.
    For example - to your university, you are an undergraduate, not an "undergrad".
    To people in the real world, outside the university context, you are a "law student".
    Further, you are studying law at university, not "going to Law School".
    Even if the Faculty of Law at your university is called the "<Wherever> Law School".
    And they're "marks", not "grades".

3. What to prioritise - marks. And not just because I'm a law academic.
    Law recruiting is now done largely by practitioners* of the pseudo-profession of "Human Resources".
    In this context, marks matter more than, and ahead of, how good you are at e-discovery or whatever.
    Existing skills is something that comes out later in the recruitment process.

4. Forget having a life for the next four years.
    Immerse yourself in the academic work and in the university experience.

-------------------------
    * My preferred term for these people is
    "skull drilling, brain sapping, parasites",
    but I'm trying to be nice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    @thelawbundle likes this.