Preferred Name vs other name

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Xyz

13 June 2019
Hi I have used preferred Name since my name is long at my work location. I don’t have any official documents with that preferred Name.
I have always used my legal name in all documents.

Now in my visa application, I have given my preferred name as well in other names category just to be transparent and honest. But later realised that it’s not my official name, and now unnecessarily added another name because that was just a simpler display name in office for people to identify and address me.But still office contains my actual complete name as legal name.

Now when I’m filling in certain forms I was asked if I have other names . Should I mention my preferred name in other name section ?

Alert

7 June 2019
Me personally have not had this issue. My fathers family have forever grown up never using their first name. It seems to be what they did back then, well my fathers side anyway.
The only forms/documents that my father has ever had needed to use his birth name is a passport, other than that they all continue to use their preferred name.
I guess it’s up to you??