- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Employee Rights on Use of Legal Name Vs. Preferred Name?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by JaneF1702, 12 June 2015.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. JaneF1702

JaneF1702 Member

12 June 2015
    I have always used my preferred name in over 20 years of employment. The only time a company has required my legal name is for HR or Payroll activities.

The company I am working for has installed a new HR system called WorkDay which then has a feed into our internal systems recognition, access and process flow.

I have queried way my first name (legal name) is now being displayed across all system and the organisation. I was informed that WorkDay did not have the option for "Preferred name".

I would suspect WorkDay has the option for its yet it wasn't included in the scope of works (sorry I am in IT so understand the project and software installations).

I have been informed that I will just have accept my legal name is being used. I find this offensive and woudl like to understand what my legal position, employee rights, etc. is with regards to not wanting my first name used.

Thanking you
  2. DennisD

DennisD Well-Known Member

11 July 2014

Working from first principles, you might consider explaining that as an employee you believe you are entitled to feel safe and comfortable in your work environment and on that basis you would request a IT work-around to be implemented as (for one reason or another which is not clear) the use of your first name causes you to feel: embarrassed? uncomfortable? Depending on your circumstances they might weigh this against the cost of implementing such a work-around.

Let's see what other contributors say as well.