QLD Posting opinion and information about individuals in private online community

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Third Order

23 January 2020
Hi,

I have checked some other questions and believe this one is a little different. If not apologies!

Headline
There is a private online community that allows individuals to shared details about people who have contacted them (but not on the platform). Contact information posted is initial obscured (ie. 0419 000 *** or john.*****@*****.com), and requires users who wish to see it a limited number of matching attempts.

Scenario A:
  • Individual A receives a text message from Individual B
  • Individual A and Individual B meet
  • Individual A posts an opinion (ie. "An incredibly rude person", "Arrived very late") and phone details (which are become obscured - ie. 0418 000 ***) about Individual B
  • Individual A posts a physical description of Individual B (ie. Male, European, Blonde hair, Tall and Athletic Build)
My Understanding:
  • Individual A has not committed any defamation (ignore the ethnics) since their comments could be considered Honest Opinion, and it had reasonable Justification (ie. truth).
  • Individual A has not breached any privacy since there should not have been any expectation of privacy as Individual B contacted them, and the platform took steps to reasonable obscured their information (ie. 0418 000 ***).
My Questions
  • Is my understanding correct?
  • If it is correct, does the response change whether the message was unsolicited or solicited by Individual A?
  • Does the addition of physical attributes change the response?
Kind Regards,

Andrew

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this homework, if so post in the student's forum and provide a more complete answer?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
This is all potentially defamatory.

Third Order

23 January 2020
Hi gents,

Thanks for your replies.

@Rod - Not homework. A business idea. I am investigating the feasibility of a secure and selective platform that would allow sex workers to pursue their occupation safely by reviewing clientele. Think of Yelp but in reverse.
@Tim W - Could you extrapolate as too why it could all be potentially defamatory? I understand that anyone could bring forth a lawsuit, but from the defence perspective if the description of the events is honest and accurate where is the problem?

AD

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmm, similar to tenancy database for renters.

Conceptionally OK but details can be important.

Third Order

23 January 2020
Rod,

Yes, I didn't even consider the tenancy database for renters, but the concept is broadly similar - "is the person sound and reasonable to provide services to?"

Ultimately, they will be:
* Verifying the client, before engaging in services (understanding what others have already said).
* Reporting the client (behaviour), post engaging in services (helping others understand the experience)

The difference that I see is that there is an outward acknowledgement/consent for your personal information to be searched when applying for tenancy. This won't be the same in this tool for obvious reasons. However, I believe it there is no direct need for consent as collection and use fall under the provision of "Lessening or preventing a serious threat to life, health or safety".

Thanks

AD