QLD Polygamous Marriage Certificate Valid in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

alitibg

24 August 2015
Gold Coast
I am confused on whether I need to file for a divorce. My marriage certificate is a polygamous certificate that was issued in Tanzania. We have never officially registered our marriage in Australia. So I thought we were de facto? Can someone clearly define whether or not I require a divorce?

Thank you in advance

Tou

24 August 2015
Can someone help in this question? We've been married for 40 years overseas..never been legally married in Australia but we're Australians now with 2 adult children born in Victoria. We have a will so if one of us or both of us pass away one day, will our children have problems accessing the will...without a legal Australian wedding certificate? Do we need to be married legally here to avoid any drama for our children when we're not here? It cost too much today to have a legal piece of paper!

Can someone please help with my question?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Insofar as I am aware, issues of estate are not dependent on marriage certificates where the beneficiaries are the children. It's the birth certificates of the children that are relevant.

As for the polygamous marriage certificate - this might require legal advice. I don't believe Australia recognises polygamous marriages at law, but I'm not sure if it recognises the first marriage as lawful?

Can anyone else clarify?

Tou

24 August 2015
Thank you for the reply..so I do not need an Australian wedding certificate for my children to execute the will when either one of us or both of us are gone one day. I assume the most important thing to have is their birth certificates? Has any member had this experience before..? Where can I get free family legal advice..?

Thank you for any help..