QLD Photographed and Videoed by Neighbour Without Consent - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gary

2 November 2014
This morning at approx. 4:40am, my neighbour and I were returning from the pub where we had been playing the pokies till closing at 4am. He lives on the street we walked on and I live about 12 houses down from the first street corner we come to. Before parting company, we continued chatting when the owner of the corner house came out, he repositioned his spotlight so we were better highlighted and went back in.

5 mins later, he re-emerged and got into his car and instead of taking the left turn to leave he took a right turn which is a cul de sac and decided to park so he is now facing us but from the opposite corner. My mate said, "wtf is he up to?". I just shrugged and we continued to chat when I noticed a light on. especially since it was on for some time and it then dawned on me, so I said "I think he is videoing and photographing us".

We talked another few minutes and I said, "this is BS, I'm going to ask him what his problem is."

As I approached he wound his window down and I said, "Is there a problem, mate?"

He replied, "Yeah, there is. What are you doing out at this time of the morning?"

I said, "What's it got to do with you? This is a public place and we have every right to be here and we don't have to account for ourselves to him as we are doing nothing wrong." I then asked if he was filming and photographing us.

He said, "I live here, mate and I've had a few break and enters. I told him that both me and my friend also live around here and in fact, much longer than he had, that we have all at some point been the victim of either an attempt or a successful break and enter and pointed out that if we were actual thieves, we would not be stood on a corner in plain view of him or anyone else and that I do not appreciate him filming and taking pictures.

I also told him that I didn't think he could do what he is doing. He said he can and that he had also called the police. I said, "Good, I might actually call them myself" and report him... He then wound his window up and took off. We waited for the cops to show but they never did...

I guess I want to know if any law has been broken here? Me and my friend are in our mid 50's and he is mid 40's. We are very unhappy about the way this neighbour treated us. He never approached us to ask what were doing, just took it upon himself to act like some sort of cartoon detective and then have the gall to insinuate that we were a couple of common thieves.

I'm hoping that there is something about his actions, his behaviour, his slanderous remarks and insinuations.

Gary

2 November 2014
Wow, what a fantastic response... No... Thanks for that.

So what you're saying is that I can be photographed and videotaped by anybody without my permission as long as I am in a public place. Is that correct?

So by that same token, I can do exactly the same to anybody else including him? If I can, what are the boundaries for photographing and videotaping members of the Public?

And by your one word, one syllable response, I am to assume that the implication made by his comments that he suspected us of both being thieves with only one intention or reason for being on the street corner is also acceptable. Is that correct?

Gary

2 November 2014
okay just three last questions.
1: can I stand on said street corner and film him pottering about on his property?
2: I see you joined on 6th June 2018. your responses are the least detailed of any informed legal person on here. Are you associated in any way with the legal system?
3: Are you in fact THE REAL Bill Murray star of Ghostbusters,Groundhog Day, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums and perhaps the closest thing left to the coolest human on earth?

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
okay just three last questions.
1: can I stand on said street corner and film him pottering about on his property?
2: I see you joined on 6th June 2018. your responses are the least detailed of any informed legal person on here. Are you associated in any way with the legal system?
3: Are you in fact THE REAL Bill Murray star of Ghostbusters,Groundhog Day, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums and perhaps the closest thing left to the coolest human on earth?

1) Maybe. Unwise to do so - it could be considered stalking.
2) I like to be succinct. I am a cop.
3) I am going to go with yes, because being the closest thing left to the coolest human on earth sounds fantastic.

Your neighbour (not direct neighbour but community member) is a dick head. He can film you - he is probably suspicious of his own shadow though.

Gary

2 November 2014
thank you Mr Murray. And yes my neighbour is extremely paranoid. He has built a high perimeter fence round his property, raided the Hogans Heroes storage shed and installed stalg Luftwaffe b spotlights. He is also a typical Queenslander!!! I don't mean to be disrespectful but it is a fact that the highest respondents to seven and nine stories where a 18 or 13 type number is posted asking viewers to dob in anyone they see not wearing sunnys on a hot day is the wonderful state of Queensland. They all see themselves as law enforcers.
Whilst this is not a bad thing, it does attract its fair share of neighbourhood vigilantes and only strengthens the resolve of the ones who belive in truth justice and the tracey grimshaw way.
thanks again