VIC What are My Employee Rights Over Personal Mobile Phone Number?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 April 2016
Hi, I had my own personal mobile phone and mobile phone number when I started in my current job.

As I was on the road a little for work during my employment, my employer offered to pay my bill, but shortly after they realised it was cheaper if they paid the account directly, and at that time, my phone number was transferred into the business account. At no time have I ever been provided a work mobile phone, I have always used my own - they just pay for the phone use.

I am not thinking of leaving the job at this time but am very concerned that the mobile phone number I have had for well over ten years could be 'stolen' from me if ever I left the company as they have the number in the company account now.

They could also be concerned that during my employment, clients could continue to call the number after I leave.

My concern is that phone number is mine, and has been for at least ten years with over 8 years of personal use prior to current employment.

My question is: If I were to ever leave the job what are my employee rights with this mobile phone number? It was mine prior and I can prove that.

Thank you.

As a footnote, I need to explain that they gave me a simcard from their phone carrier using my mobile phone number. I assume I must have signed something for this to happen.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unless you have something to the contrary, there's every chance the business now owns that number. Prior ownership is not the issue. The issue is what you did and agreed to when signing the number over to the business. Alternatively the business can agree now to sign the number back to you if and when you leave.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
21 April 2016
Hi Tim, I was being reimbursed for phone use initially, then was asked to put the phone into the company account as it was cheaper, and so we could call each other for free on the same plan. I must have signed some paperwork to move the number to a new carrier and get a new simcard, but wasn't really aware of what I signed, or provided a copy of the paperwork. From then on the company managed the account including my phone number.