QLD Permanent Full time to Casual Employment

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LauraMae

21 April 2020
I've been asked verbally by my employer to go from permanent full time to casual employment. Which i'd definitely rather not do, so i'm going to suggest permanent part time... this is after taking a pay cut already.

I asked if there was another option (Jobkeeper allowance) and got told "no. We would end your employment, which we don't want to do" - it's a pretty hefty redundancy payout, plus the annual leave accrual so I can see why they don't want to go down this path.

- Is accrued annual leave paid out?
- Is it essentially redundancy, then a re-hire? Or does it just 'flow' into a casual contract. Fairwork website isn't very clear about what happens

I'm speaking to an employment lawyer tomorrow to get further clarification on the whole situation.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm speaking to an employment lawyer tomorrow to get further clarification on the whole situation.

Good. I suspect in either situation (agree or not to the change), that a redundancy is payable to you.