LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Redundancy - Am I Considered Permanent Part-time?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Murdoch2912, 15 August 2016.

Tags:
  1. Murdoch2912

Murdoch2912 Member

I am employed at a charity as a casual in New South Wales and have been working the same days and hours plus sometimes a few more for nearly 9 years. Asks to be made permanent but told "not at this time" but now some of us are going to be redundant.

Could I be seen as "permanent part time" for redundancy purposes or not? Some employees have already been made redundant by "power point" presentation so this charity is not really into being fair.

Any help would be appreciated. My Union is not much help.

Workplace Law likes this.
  2. Workplace Law

Workplace Law Member

Hi Murdoch 2912,

Many charities and not for profits are covered by the fair work act. You have not said what your role is but I assume you are covered by an award which will also direct you to the NES in respect of redundancies.

If you have been working regular and systematic hours for nearly nine years I would suggest that you are not a true casual and you may have a good argument as to your employment status being permanent. With that may come a claim for entitlements, also remember you will be entitled to pro rata long service leave under State Law.

How many employees are within the organisation? If there are more than 15 employees then you may be eligible for severance payments as per NES.

I hope this helps

3. Murdoch2912

Murdoch2912 Member

Thank you.

There are 17 employees working where I am and we have a meeting this Friday so I may be on the "PowerPoint" presentation to be made redundant. My duties are, 'have a key to open the yard gates and close them, help with welfare and donations'.

I used to work Saturday and Sunday but they took Sunday off me after 6 years and put me on Saturday and Tuesday. Same hours.

Might need a solicitor.

Workplace Law likes this.
  4. Workplace Law

Workplace Law Member

Sure Meredith good luck with that

5. Matthew Lynch

Matthew Lynch Lawyer

6. Murdoch2912

Murdoch2912 Member

Hi Matthew,

I am seeing my union rep this week. If they don't give any constructive advice, can I please contact you?

7. Matthew Lynch

Matthew Lynch Lawyer

Hi Murdoch

That is no problem. Let me know how you go.