LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

TAS Partner's Friend Broke TV - Is She Liable under Property Law?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by TommyB, 27 October 2015.

Tags:
  1. TommyB

TommyB Member

Hi All,

In August, my partner had some friends around August this year for her birthday to have a couple of drinks. During the night her friend spilled a full glass of sparkling wine down the front of my 60 inch LED TV. I contacted an authorised repairer the next morning and was told it is damaged beyond repair. I do not have accidental breakage on my home and contents so a replacement is at my own cost.

Is my partner's friend liable for the replacement of the TV under Property Law? She has not been very forthcoming to replace it.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

You could take this to the small claims tribunal and request replacement of the tv.

3. TommyB

TommyB Member

Thanks JS79. I've thought of that. I was curious if anyone has had or heard of a similar situation so I could judge if it's worth while going that route.

4. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

You are not allowed to have legal representation at a small claims court so the cost of taking it there is the cost of application and it tends to be very cheap.

Either you look at doing that, write a letter requesting replacement or just leave it and move on. It's up to your partner really.