Pancreatic Cancer Blunder

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Splinter

29 January 2018
My mother had a scan September 2022 of her chest where a node was detected on one of her lungs. In June 2023 she went for a routine scan and was told about the node then. Firstly, why was she not notified September 2022? Between September 2022 and now she had changed doctors but all of her information at medical history was not sent in full to her new doctor. After further tests she has been diagnosed with stage 2 pancreatic cancer. Does she have a legal right to some sort of compensation from the original doctor not notifying her in September 2022. Her cancer may have been stage 1.

Warbler

25 April 2019
I’m wondering as I have had no responses that there is nothing she can do?
Hi Splinter
Sorry to hear of your mother's situation. It's not possible for anyone to help much on the information provided. If you wanted to take some action you / your mother would need to take all relevant medical records to a solicitor for proper advice. Step 1 - get all the facts.

What was the node? If your mother already had a cancerous node in her lung then it may be that she already had Stage 2 cancer. Has anyone asked her doctors? Yes it's unfortunate that her cancer diagnosis was delayed, if that is the case, and it happens, but whether there is any successful legal cause of action is another matter. Have you complained to the doctor?

Splinter

29 January 2018
Hi Warbler
thanks for the reply. In the last week she was taken to a larger hospital via ambulance from the rural town where she lives. They have now told her that they have found cancer on her spleen also. And you are correct I suppose with already being stage 2 as the original scan in September 2022 showed the node on the lung which they have said is now a secondary cancer. So the pancreas is the first cancer and now the spleen the third. The Drs have told her that Palliative Chemo may be her best option now.