QLD Ownership & Registration of Deceased Estate Vehicle with Queensland Transport

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Guyindra

17 June 2017
Hi, My dad died in July last year and made me executor of his will. He didn't have much when he died except for a car. I applied to Queensland Transport to verify it was registered in his name which was the first step I was advised to take. Confirmation was received and I then went about completing a transfer. I had a query completing the form and rang Qld Transport to check on it. I was advised that I would be unable to transfer the vehicle into the estates name as it was co-registered. She wasn't able to tell me who the other party was, but was able to confirm the name once I said it. She told me that the other party had to bring documentation including the death certificate into the department to get the vehicle solely registered in their name.

So cut to now and I have started receiving toll fines in my dads name. I contacted Qld Transport to be advised that his name wasn't taken off the registration and now the other party has reregistered the vehicle in my dads name. I have sent stat decs off to the toll company and also spoke to Qld Transport who asked me to email the death certificate so that they can put a note on the system to stop the reregistration happening again. This is the email that now has me confused:

Thank you for contacting us on 15 June 2017 about your father’s details.

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

I have recorded the details from the certificate you sent. No further transactions will be able to be processed under your father’s customer number.

I’m unable to provide specific details by email, however if you’re receiving toll notices in your father’s name this may indicate that there are still vehicles registered to him which need to be transferred. You can find details on our website of how to transfer a registration from a deceased estate: Transferring registration from a deceased registered operator | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government.

Should you require any further information, please contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday (local call charge in Australia; higher rates apply from mobile phones and payphones). For international callers, please phone +61 7 3405 0985.

Regards,

In addition to being totally confused as to what to do now regarding registration, I have had conflicting advice on who owns the vehicle. I was told that ownership of the vehicle automatically goes to the other person it is registered to and as it is registered in someone elses name do I assume than that they are automatically classed as a owner or does the estate now own half of the car?

Help!! This has been going on for too long now and emotionally I just cant keep going on this emotional rollercoaster ride. By the way the person who is the other party was my dads carer/partner. I have the receipt for the car and it is in his name only.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my dilemma.

Last edited by a moderator: