WA Why is a vehicle still be in my name, years after repossession?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nickola

5 May 2017
Hi

I received an Infringement Notice yesterday for something that happened in Victoria 4 months ago. I live in WA and have not been in Victoria for 13 years.

I was given the fine amount of $155, the number plate and the offence in the Infringement Notice. It was for driving a vehicle in a toll zone when that vehicle is not registered in respect of that toll zone, with the relevant corporation (code 2351).

I phoned the Civics Compliance Victoria, after I told them of the circumstances I was informed that I had to prove it wasn't my vehicle and that I was not the driver. She would not provide the details of the vehicle, except to say that it was a Ford.
I am sure the number plate is from the Ford XR6 I was purchasing until 3 years ago when it was repossessed.

I went into Department of Transport website and inquired about the number plate and found that the registration had just been paid for 1 year. Due on the 1st May 2018.
I also went into a page where I was able to get notification when the registration was next due, but that won't be for 12 months.

I would like to know if the company that repossessed my vehicle is responsible for this to have happened.
Surely they would not be able to sell the vehicle without ensuring the vehicle registration was transferred out of my name. Just like when you purchase a vehicle from a car yard.

I would also like to know who is keeping the vehicle registered in my name, and why?
What else have they done?
Is this person stealing my identity?
What trouble is he going to get me into, if any?
But most of all.... what are my rights are and where do I stand?

I am not sure what category this comes under or who to get help from.

Thank you for reading
Nickola

Lance

31 October 2015
Nickola,
I'm also in WA and a few months ago I got an emailed infringement notice from Victoria. This one I assumed was a scam, so I did nothing. Its a very common scam at the moment. Are you sure this is a legitimate infringement? If it is real, start off by writing a statutory declaration detailing the events related to the repossession and the details of who repossessed the vehicle, these people have done the wrong thing.