VIC Owners Corporation - Owner of Two Units Changed Roofing Without Consultation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob46

14 July 2017
There are four single storey units on the one strata title. Very recently an owner of two of the units, without consultation or communication with the other two individual unit owners has replaced the existing tiled roofing with new different colour steel Colorbond roofing. The contrast is absolutely stark and the general consensus is that our two units are now devalued and we, in a way, are almost obligated to follow suit with his choice of roofing and incur a large cost that we are not prepared for.

People walking past them have never commented in the past about the roofing appearance but now people say things such as "Gee you'll have do the same to yours it looks terrible now." In the spirit of an owners corporation, is the owner allowed to do this (Model Rules apply) and do we have any rights in this matter?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What state are you in?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Suspect you need a lawyer to look at the titles and plan of subdivision.

Someone needs to work out if the roofs are part of the common property. If they are not common property you have no cause of action.

Even if they are common property, then the question needs to be asked about whether you could have stopped the work before it commenced.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
That is what I assumed when I gave my answer.