QLD Owner of property locked out because of faulty door lock

Get Instant Legal Answers - Free AI Legal Help
Join thousands of Australians each month using LawConnect’s AI assistant for fast, personalised legal information. No waiting. No cost. Start now.
Ask Your Question Now

Greensleeves

Member
27 February 2024
1
0
1
I privately own an apartment in a well known hotel property chain. All door locks in this hotel managed property have a faulty mechanism in that the door lock batteries need frequent replacement, this happened to me twice in the last week, and is extremely frustrating.
TIMELINE; 1. Midday found my keycard access provided by manager not allowing me access. 2. Advised reception and asked could it be fixed as I was going to the hospital for treatment and did not want to be bothered with faulty access on my return. Answer from staff “certainly”. 3. On return door still unlockable with current key card. 4. As I was unwell I phoned reception and asked if someone could come and unlock my door, this is common practice. 5. The senior staff member then gave me “The 20 questions run-around”. 6. He treated me like a naughty child, which was bellitering, insulting and disrespectful . 7 I was sick, frustrated by his superior arrogance and could feel my blood pressure rising alarmingly. 8. In my extreme frustration I called him ‘stupid’ which was a severe understatement. 9. He hung up his phone effectively locking me out with no access to help but to struggle three flights down to reception, wait interminably and be escorted back up three flights and a long corridor to have my door finally opened. My blood pressure measured in the hypertensive scale which because of multiple chronic illnesses is extremely worrisome. I am 82 years old.
 

Aholicebhe

Well-Known Member
26 May 2025
19
0
71
I know this thread is a bit old, but I had to weigh in. That treatment sounds awful and dangerous for someone with health issues. Did you ever file a formal complaint with the hotel management or the property owners' association? Faulty locks and rude staff should not be tolerated, especially when it puts someone's health at risk.
 

Kennexo

Well-Known Member
2 September 2024
63
0
196
I feel for you being locked out like that. For peace of mind, I had a spare car key made at spare car key made and keep it with a neighbor. That way if my electronic lock fails again I have a backup entry option without relying on front desk staff.