VIC OP interrogates child each time when child returns to her

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Quick fact background: Ex and I are still in FCC, high conflict case. She did numerous false allegations on me in the past and has been repeatedly telling child that daddy is a bad guy, daddy bullies mommy, or daddy's dog is dangerous/disgusting/stupid, etc. The reason I know is because she in numerous occasions directly rages at me and accused me of such, made threats to call police or see me further in court, even in front of the child. She even replied in one of her lawyer letters saying that child (3 yr old back then) figured it out himself that I bullied her because I did not give her money.

When our child (currently 5) returns to her place or when she video chats with child, she'd ask child a lot of questions about what the child did or did not do, had or did not have at my place, what food, what activity, what book(s), what exercises, eating sugar, etc. This goes to the point that her entire video chat session was she asking all these questions from the beginning to the end, and on the very next day when child goes to her place she'd ask many questions again, then emailed me saying that child was not able to recall what he did or eat besides A, B, C, D, E, F... and asked me to answer if child did or had G, H, I, J, K, and ask me to provide evidence.

She has attempted to judge my parenting based on the info she got from Child, threatened to change parenting order as result simply because she didn't like what child had told her. I feel that her current conduct:
  1. may causes anxiety to the child, or slowly causes child to falsely feel that being with daddy is dangerous,
  2. making me wonder if she is genuinely care about child or simply trying to interrogate child so that she can use some info against me.

What would be the appropriate and rational approach to address this? Can I simply email her saying something like "if you have questions, ask me directly instead of asking child, and I will respond you if they are appropriate and relevant." or am I being too sensitive and risk her claiming that I am the un-cooperative parent in the court?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sounds like you have grounds a for a FVIO.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
I have addressed her previous threats and denigration by putting a non-denigration order in place in our interim order, and sending her numerous lawyer letters. Of course her conduct remains unchanged and got worse each time my time with child progresses. My lawyer advised me to bring those conduct to trail instead of pursuing a contravention of court order, giving that our case is still pending. I am now self representing.

On her "interrogative" conduct alone, what would be the best approach to address it? Thanks.

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
sending her numerous lawyer letters

You can probably use your numerous lawyer letters which covers her previous threats and denigration (despite non-denigration orders) to support a FVIO application. It does not sound like she would obey a court order even if the case is decided and the court order goes your way. The legal restrictions have not made an impact so far, so police and criminal implications may be necessary unfortunately.

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
smile and nod... BTW what sort of access do you have with the child? What are you hoping to get as a final order?
Might be successful in getting a FVIO BUT is it a good idea? I don't think so. It is the child that needs protecting not you... The problem is you don't know what she is getting up to when the kid is with her. So you're looking for a court order to order a twit to stop being a twit. No court has that capacity AND it will piss her off. Sounds like a good thing but nutters eat revenge for desert... You get an avo on her YOU can expect reprisals. She might even use it as an excuse to stop giving you access to the kid.

No legal advice - Life expeirence and amateur psychology... My ex is a nutter too. She would rant and rave at change overs (still does). I'd get caught up in it and sometimes my actions were not great , screaming and yelling back with the kids near by... BUT her madness was rubbing off on me. So I hatched a plan. I had a script. "yeah sure - no worries." So imagine this...
HER: YOu fcuking ***** I can't afford food because you are a ****
Me: Yup sure, no worries thanks for the update
HER: You need to understand MY Children blah blah
Me: No worries, thanks for the update...

Things got worse for a while - Soiled underwear being thrown at me kinda worse. "No worries, thanks for the update." I had a strategy. Smile and nod...

Kids are smart - My kids saw the ex acting like a twit... I had nothing bad to say about the ex to the kids. I reckon when you say something negative to a child about one of their parents you lose credibility with the kid... Oh and I always had a treat in the car as a little motivator for the kids to get in the car quick so we could make our escape.

So let the madness continue - google 'parallel parenting'. Go to the family report writer with a positive attitude towards everything. Don't sugar coat - Yep have some concerns that mum quizzes the kid but nothing is gonna be achieved by discussing it with her... meanwhile you can expect the ex to tell the report writer what a useless piece of **** you really are. Those report writers have heard it all before and will see through her BS.

Don't waste $$$ on solicitor letters trying to tell her to stop - waste of $. Now gonna sound all zen buddah and camomile tea... So 8 years on SHE is still a nutter. She tells the kids lies. She asks if I drink too much (I did when I was with her -self medicating) do I argue with my partner (nope because she isn't a nutter). But I've mastered the art of smilling and nodding. So much so that I really really don't give a fcuk. I'm sometimes even amused by the anti-vax, tinfoil hat tom foolery, organic sunscreen (apparantly sunscreen causes cancer?) vegan this week Kabulcha the next madness. It doesn't get to me. I refuse to let it get to me. She is gonna die early from the constant stress she causes herself, she is cold bitter and full of hate. Meanwhile I have a healthy relationship with the kids. At pick up- drop off they give me a kiss and a hug and tell me they love me.... Meanwhile their mum tells them to get in the car / hurry up blah blah.
rant over.

Reactions: Mum9son

Poidah

9 November 2017
Qld
So I hatched a plan. I had a script. "yeah sure - no worries."

Grey rock technique, great suggestion. Imagine yourself as Teflon, and let her frustrations fall away with repetitive one flat one liners that does not change no matter how dramatic or provocative she is. Over time, the lack of emotional drama will mean that she will move on and the negativity minimises over time.

Reactions: Mum9son

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
you get an avo on her YOU can expect reprisals. She might even use it as an excuse to stop giving you access to the kid.

No, purpose of FVIO is to get custody.

Muxaul

10 October 2017
No, purpose of FVIO is to get custody.
Currently we have 40/60 shared parenting arrangement to her favor.
There is already a final FIVO currently in place against op's mother, who lives with op and child. Ex in-law received FIVO due to her recent rage outburst and threats to hurt me, and threats were made in front of our child and 3rd party witness. Police dropped criminal charge on her and only put me as the only AFM. Child was excluded on the order. Their reasoning is to hope that this way it would stop her aggression towards me while simultaneously protects the child without inflaming the conflict further.

I wish to seek primary custody and is awaiting for family report which is expected to be released soon.

Question: If I seek another IVO against ex, would that further intensify the conflict and cast me as a trouble maker? Also, a requirement of AVO/IVO is that AFM needs to be fearful. Her conduct is controlling indeed and not best interest of child, but neither the child or I have grounds to say that we are in fear of our immediate safety based on her current conducts. So what is the ground of IVO?

Grey rock technique, great suggestion
Thanks Sammy and Poidah. My ex has sent me quite a lot of emails attacking my parenting or my self. I have been gray rocking those obvious attacks including threats as mentioned above. It seems that after IVO was issued against her mother, ex's conduct has become more covert. Addressing covert behaviors is a lot trickier. Still practicing the skills but getting better day by day.

I am concerned that if I plainly grey rock her on her obsessive interrogations, she might in return claim that I am not co-parenting. I think a very brief email like I drafted in original post would be sufficient, your thoughts?

Last edited: